Equality at The Whartons
We believe that equality should filter through all aspects of our school life and is the responsibility of every member of the school and wider community. Every member of the school community should feel safe, secure, valued and of equal worth. Within our school, equality is a key principle for treating people with dignity and respect irrespective of their age, disability, gender reassignment, transgender, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion/belief, sex, sexual orientation as recognised protected characteristics under the Equality Act 2010.
Otley Family of Schools Equality & Diversity Charter
The staff and governors in the Otley family have agreed to work in partnership to combat all forms of discrimination, celebrate diversity and promote community cohesion:
- We will ensure that everyone in our community is treated with respect as an individual.
- We will challenge stereotypes, prejudices and behaviours which divide out society.
- We will teacher our pupils to celebrate differences, champion equality and stand up to injustice.
- We will encourage everyone in our schools to play an active part in our local community, and to create a society where everyone is equally important.
- We will promote good relationships between different groups of people, including those from different faiths and ethnic groups.
- We will broaden out pupil’ cultural horizons and ensure that the rich diversity of out world is valued and celebrated.
- We will help our young people to develop the values they need to become responsible global citizens who help to make the world a fairer place.
OBJECTIVE: to ensure the school actively promotes and prioritises raising awareness, appreciation and celebration of diversity including gender, sexuality, race and religion.
Equality Objective 2: Linked to Pupil Attainment and Progress/Gender, Race and Disability
OBJECTIVE: To monitor and analyse pupil achievement by race, gender and disability and act on any trends or patterns in the data that require additional support for pupils.